About

Tirta Gangga

Tirtagangga Park is one of the tourist attractions located at Ababi Village, Abang Subdistrict. It is about 5 km north of Amlapura—the regency capital—built in 1948 by the King Anak Agung Agung Anglurah Ketut Karangasem.

Before the construction, the park was a large spring and local people called it embukan, meaning spring. The spring was then taken advantage by surrounding villages as a source of drinking water and sacred purification for Ida Bathara (deities). On that account, the spring was made sacred by the locals. From this spring, the King of Karangasem then got the idea to build a park because it was greatly supported by the cool air and later on was named Tirtagangga Park. Just as the Sukasada Ujung Park, the Tirtagangga Park had a close attachment to the Karangasem Grand Palace.

In the area of Tirtagangga Park sits several large ponds functioned as fish ponds and public bathing. The water flowing through the large and small fountains then coming out of the mouth of the sculptures in the pool originates from the fountain. Therefore, the water is cool and refreshing. Here, there are also fountains and tiered-lotus statues dividing it into two large ponds.

Today, the Tirtagangga Park has religious, social as well as entertainment function. Religiously, the spring at location is used as holy water by the surrounding community. In addition, it serves as a venue for organizing Deva Yajña ritual and pilgrimage.

Meanwhile, the Tirtagangga springs is socially used by local government as a source of clean water for the people of Karangasem. Then, as entertainment, the Tirtagangga is managed and developed into one of the tourist objects and attractions that is much in demand as well as visited by tourists as a place of recreation.

Leave a Reply